"I am using this battery to power a 18 pound
thrust trolling motor side mounted on a 10 foot kayak. The trolling
motor uses 15 amps an hour on high speed (which is about 4 to 3.5 mph)
and 7 amps an hour on low (about 2 mph). I have used a combination of
both speeds ( 1/2 high speed 1/2 low) to travel 2 miles one way, and 2
miles back, and the battery seems to handle this nicely with no
noticeable loss of power towards the end of the journey. I do not have a
way to measure how far down this drains the battery, but I am
calculating this to be about an 80 percent discharge, with each use.
Using the VMAX BC1204 3.3A 4-Stage Automatic Microprocessor Controlled
Battery Smart Charger / Maintainer for AGM, battery charger sold by this
seller, I see the first green light flashing for about 5 to 15 minutes
when I start recharging the battery, and the it stays on, and over the
next few hours slowly works it's way up through the next 3 lights, which
stop blinking and stay on, showing completed charge stages. Which I
suppose seems consistent with an 80 percent discharge.
battery's small size and light weight (lower AHs) is necessary as I have
space and weight limitations. This battery fits into my kayak in a
battery box reasonably well, except for my inability to find a
commercially manufactured, water resistant vented battery box that is
not 2 times the size of the battery. As the batteries small size is one
of it's big selling points, it would be nice if I could find a battery
box to fit it. As it is, I am having to use a U1 sized box that is big
enough for close to 2 of these.
Getting the set up organized has
been a learning curve involving a lot of trial and error, and I have
only used the battery a few times. As with each use, I am discharging
the battery down 80 percent (leaving only 20 percent of the original
charge)I do not expect to get anything close to optimal use or battery
life, especially as I am also leaving it sit a couple hours with a 60
percent charge (40 percent discharge) before the return trip, which then
discharges it down to about 20 percent left. I have been reading that
lead acid batteries really do not do well if they are left sitting, not
being used to power anything, in a partially discharged state, and that
regularly doing this for only a couple hours, without recharging, can be
damaging. So I am not sure how practical this battery is going to be,
for it's intended use, over time. If I am able to get anything close to
the 300 charge cycles that this battery can supposedly provide if it is
used hard, I will feel this has been an extremely good deal and well
worth the price. Even if I can get 50 to 100 cycles from it, without it
noticeably loosing it's capacity, it will be a cost effective power
source for me, and I will be entirely happy with the bang I got for my
buck. And if I burn the battery out before that, it is probably more
about the conditions I am using it under, than the battery. I will try
to come back and update this in a few months to a year, to report how
this battery holds up to such stressful treatment.
The seller has been both responsive and helpful in the
areas where they can be, and so far the battery seems to be of excellent
VMAX600 Group 1/2 U1 Deep Cycle Rechargeable AGM Battery, November 29, 2014
"Not too much to say about this battery except
that is is just what I was looking for in a small battery to be used for
a portable solar generator. The battery is a deep cycle AGM battery
that is said to be the best for such a use."
Much better, December 7, 2014
"It feels like I have to charge it less than before, and the scooter operates better on this new battery pack."
Five Stars, August 6, 2014
"Jumped a motorcycle that a 50A booster couldn't after filling two tires on a Xantrex portable unit."